What is Salone Rising?
Supporting the Small Business Owner
Salone Rising (Krio for Sierra Leone Rising) is a not-for-profit program that supports promising small business owners in Sierra Leone, West Africa. Our mission is to activate these entrepreneurs to sustain and grow their businesses; to earn a living wage and more, and thereby help support their families; and to contribute to the development of their community. Our strategy is to facilitate micro grants and small-to-medium business loans that can help participants address short term goals, and provide educational and savings opportunities that help them build toward long-term success. We encourage community initiatives that have been locally conceived.
Share With a Friend
To do this, we
• Screen applicants and select qualified individuals,
• Facilitate small grants to support their specific business improvement ideas,
• Monitor and assess weekly and monthly progress,
• Provide ongoing and specialized mentoring and professional development resources,
• Create additional business opportunities when possible, and
• Support the development of their local community initiatives.
Our participants are invited to tell their success stories to the camera, as well as their challenges; the brief films that result can help us connect them with additional investors, educators, and professionals.